If your pipes freeze:
- Shut off the water immediately. Don't attempt to thaw frozen pipes unless the water is shut off. Freezing can often cause unseen cracks in pipes or joints.
- Apply heat to the frozen pipe by warming the air around it, or by applying heat directly to a pipe. You can use a hair dryer, space heater or hot water. Be sure not to leave space heaters unattended, and avoid the use of kerosene heaters or open flames.
- Once the pipes have thawed, turn the water back on slowly and check for cracks and leaks.
The forecast is for extremely cold weather beginning Today December 22 through Wednesday December 28.
Now is the time to:
1. Make sure meter box lids are secure, and the box is not damaged.
(Frozen meters due to damaged boxes and lids are the responsibility of the property owner)
2. If you do not have a shut off where the water enters your home,
get familiar with where your meter is located and how to turn it off!
Turning Water Supply On and Off | PWSD No.4 Scott County Missouri (pwsd4.com)
(District personnel will not respond to leaks or busted piping in and under your home)
3. Consider letting water drip at multiple locations in your home.
4. Make sure exposed pipes are insulated and shielded from the wind.
5. Be aware of pressure drops, as that may indicate a leak.